If you’ve heard that coconut oil magically solves all of your at-home needs, I have a surprise for you: the rumors are true. It’s so good for you — both inside and out!
Coconut oil contains fatty acids that aid in weight loss. Plus, it’s 50 percent lauric acid, a good fat that improves cognitive function and prevents high cholesterol and high blood pressure. Lauric acid is also an effective treatment for skin conditions such as acne, cold sores and rashes.
Even better? You can replace many toxic and chemical-based beauty products with coconut oil, saving you money and time!
My favorite brand is Ojio raw organic coconut oil, but whichever you buy, just make sure it’s GMO-free, organic, and virgin (or extra virgin) so you can utilize all of its wonderful properties.
I can’t wait to incorporate it more into my summer routine — here are a few ways you can give it a try, too:
- Moisturize your hair when it becomes dry and brittle from too much sun exposure on the beach.
- Dress delicious summer produce like snap peas, strawberries, and radishes in a seasonal salad with this light homemade coconut-lime vinaigrette. (Get the recipe here.)
- Get your feet pedicure-ready at home! Just rub coconut oil onto cracked, dry heels as a moisturizer and after a few coats of your favorite polish, you’ll be ready for your favorite sandals.
- Make the perfect granola bars (recipe here) for an afternoon hike or weekend road trip. (I like to substitute cacao nibs for chocolate chips, too!)
- Throw it in your beach bag! Coconut oil naturally has SPF of 2-8, and makes a great substitute for chemically-based tanning oils. But don’t forget your sunscreen! Check out this earlier post on how to stay safe in the sun.)
- Get sundress-ready by swapping your shaving cream for coconut oil. It’s super-moisturizing, easy on razors and smells great!
- Whip up a delicious trail mix (recipe here), which is way tastier on a vacation flight than airport snacks.
Have you tried coconut oil yet? Share your favorite uses in the comments!